We know that making sure your hearing loss prevention program fits seamlessly into your daily operations is important. As leaders in hearing protection, 3M offers a complete solution, with earplug and earmuff testing capabilities plus a user-friendly interface.
This is the second part in our four-part series on hearing protector fit testing and covers who should be fit tested and who should conduct the fit testing. If you missed part one in the series – What is hearing protection fit testing? – be sure to get caught up!
Who should be ear fit tested?
The target population for hearing protection fit testing is the group of employees who are expected to be at risk for noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL). Examples of target employee groups include
- Newly hired employees
- Employees with a measured temporary threshold shift (TTS) or significant threshold shift (STS)
- Employees who work in the highest noise areas or are required to wear dual hearing protection
- Employees who are at the margins of inclusion for mandatory hearing protection
- Employees exposed to ototoxic chemicals as well as to noise
- All employees who qualify for inclusion in the hearing conservation program
- All employees regardless of noise exposure at work
Who conducts the hearing protection fit tests and/or manages the fit-test program?
In general, those responsible for the hearing loss prevention program (HLPP) will manage the ear fit-test program. Examples of personnel typically responsible for conducting fit tests include
- Industrial hygienists
- Safety professionals
- Occupational health nurses
- Vendor-trained personnel
- Independent or authorized service providers
The 3M™ E-A-Rfit Dual-Ear Validation System has earplug and earmuff testing capabilities as well as a user-friendly interface that makes sharing results with workers easy.
Visit us online to request a free demo of the 3M™ Hearing Protection fit-testing device and to learn how easy it is to integrate into your HLPP.
Contact a Representative
Thank you! Your request was submitted successfully. A representative will contact you shortly.